Private Practice (between Lessons)

Legal Requirements

If you are planning to practice privately between lessons, there are some legal restrictions that you need to be aware of:

  • The person taking you out must be aged 21 or over and must have held a full licence for more than three years
  • The car must be taxed and have a valid MOT certificate
  • The car must be insured for you to drive
  • L-Plates (or D-Plates in Wales) must be displayed at the front and rear of the car.

Unlike your driving school car, it is unlikely that the car you practice in will have dual controls. Make sure you listen to the instructions of the car owner.